Twitter
RSS

Lake Water Allergies – An UnExpected Allergy

person coming out of lake waterLake water allergies are not something most people think about as they are taking the leap off the rope going in or just wading with their kids to get cool on a hot summer day.  Nature is an interesting thing since for some of us it can cause unexpected reactions.  Lake water allergies also sometimes called swimmer’s itch are caused not by foreign substances in the lake but natural contamination from the creatures that consider the lake their habitat.

If you are predisposed to skin allergies odds are that you may have a bad reaction to lake water.  The level of discomfort can be very high.  Whether it is a lake or a pond these allergies can be bad enough to cause scars from the rashes they cause.  Lake water allergies can be caused whether the water seems clear or not.  Lakes in the United States can contain parasites that cause these allergies.  Birds and mammals leave these as they travel on and over the lakes.

What can you expect if you get lake water allergies?  Tingling, itching and even burning of the skin usually happens within hours of being exposed to the contaminated lake water.  Red pimples that can turn into blisters can show up as late as 12 hours after swimming in the water.  Usually if you treat the skin with allergy creams or ointments the blisters will go away.  If not you should definitely visit a doctor.  This may be warranted anyway if the blisters are too uncomfortable.

Some people may choose to ignore milder symptoms of their lake water allergies.  They may be too excited about potential vacation time that they had planned for a long time.  It may just be so hot that you have to take that dip in the water.  This is not a good idea because prolonged exposure to the contaminated water that causes your skin allergies will only make them worse.  You may also develop a more serious reaction that can include fever, skin lesions and even shortness of breath.

Once you find you have experienced lake water allergies your best bet of course is to avoid getting in the water.  Their are so many possible contaminants in both pond and lake water it would be very difficult to try to pinpoint what exactly is causing your reaction.  Keep in mind that pollen can also be found on lake and pond water and we know that pollen can cause significant allergy symptoms too.  So for most people the approach would probably be “Better Safe Than Sorry”.

Be Sociable, Share!



Leave a Reply